A common question that many new parents ask is, "When is the right time to start baby proofing?" Let's dive into this question together, and hopefully, by the end, you’ll have a clearer idea!
1. Before Baby ArrivesBelieve it or not, many parents start the baby proofing journey even before their baby arrives. Why? Well, once your baby is here, you'll find that your hands (and hearts!) are full. Starting early can give you the peace of mind that your home is safe, ready, and waiting.
During this time, you might consider:
- Securing furniture that could tip over.
- Installing safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs.
- Checking your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Remember, you don't have to go all out immediately! You're just setting the groundwork.
2. When Baby Starts to MoveThis is when the fun (and real challenge!) begins. The period between 4-7 months is when many babies start rolling over. This seemingly innocent action can turn a living room into a playground of potential hazards.
At this stage, focus on:
- Covering electrical outlets.
- Storing away small items that could be choking hazards.
- Keeping cords, including blinds and drapes, out of reach.
3. Crawling and Cruising PhaseAround 8-10 months, your little explorer might begin to crawl, and before you know it, they’re pulling themselves up and "cruising" around furniture. The world from their vantage point is filled with curiosity.
Your checklist should now include:
- Putting corner protectors on sharp-edged furniture.
- Securing cabinets with safety latches.
- Moving household cleaning products and medicines to higher shelves or locked cabinets.
4. The Toddling PhaseBetween 12-18 months, many toddlers take their first tentative steps. Their balance might be wobbly, but their determination is rock solid! At this point, their access and reach extend, so it's essential to be extra vigilant.
Be sure to:
- Keep the bathroom door always closed or install a door lock.
- Ensure windows have safety locks, especially if they are low to the ground.
- Keep hot foods, drinks, and appliances away from the edges of counters and tables.
5. Growing and ExploringAs your baby grows into a toddler, their curiosity knows no bounds. Between 18-36 months, they’ll be trying to open, close, push, pull, and turn everything. It’s a time of immense learning but also potential mischief!
During these months:
- Use stove knob covers to prevent them from turning on burners.
- Keep laundry pods and other tempting but dangerous items out of reach.
- Secure heavy items on open shelves.
And hey, if you’re ever in doubt or need some assistance, that’s what we’re here for! From edge guards to cabinet locks, our goal is to support you every step of the way. Because as we like to say, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Until next time, happy baby proofing and enjoy every precious moment with your little one! 💕